dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, June 18, 2011

you can't front on that

You know "So Whatcha Want?" by the Beastie Boys? Erik and I have some words about the words. First of all,

You think that you can front when Revelation comes?


is my favorite. Erik says, "There are powers such as God who cannot be deceived by pretenses and facades. Powers of retribution." For me, it means, "You are ridiculous to believe that you could be a poser when end times are here." But I don't believe in end times, so it has a more metaphorical meaning.

Then's the line that really gets us.

I want you off the wall if you're playing the wall.

It's kind of inscrutable. Still, Erik gives it a try. "Don't try to act on behalf of both sides for your own benefit at the expense of the two sides you are pretending to be in league with." Isn't that brilliant?

I would say there are some connotations with "off the wall" as in wacky. Erik's envisioning a wall up between two sides, and there are people on both sides, while I'm envisioning a wall more like a tennis court's practice wall? And for me, playing the wall is more of a solitary thing. I don't know--my reading's falling apart. Erik's is way better.

I would welcome your ideas about these two lines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home