dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

meditation

I lived with a Soto Zen Buddhist for 12 years.  He was not a Soto Zen Buddhist for all that time, though.  Anyway, he meditated every day, and I had a strange relationship to it.  It kind of drove me crazy.  I know it drove the cat crazy. 

Meditation is really good for people, though.  For the persons doing it.  At times I've thought I should meditate.  I've done it a little.  More than most, I guess.  I've done it enough to know I don't like it.  So does that mean I shouldn't do it?

Well, I like it for about five minutes, but I don't know if five minutes even counts.  For a while I was doing morning pages and meditating every morning first thing, and I liked it.  Then travel happens or some kind of distracting event. 

Today I was talking with Ming about our sleep schedule.  Should we let it get really early again, or should we try to be in sync with the rest of the world?  It's easier to do early morning things in the early morning.

Anyway, I checked out a book called Quiet Mind from the library today.  It has an essay in it by Ed Brown, and I love Ed Brown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home