dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

weird

When we were about to drive away, our community member H waved goodbye to us enthusiastically.  I thought he was trying to get Ming's attention before we left because he needed something, but he was just saying goodbye.

He had never done that before.  "Why did H wave to us?" I asked.

"Maybe he knows something we don't," Ming said.

"Maybe there's a bomb in our car," I said.  "Maybe he put it there!"

We laughed, but it was strange.  I wondered if we were going to die in the car in a terrible wreck.

Ming drove us to Savers so we could drop off a clothes donation.  It was fine.  As we left the parking lot, he was making a right turn onto Cheyenne, and a car changed into the lane he was about to turn into.  I yelled something, and he slammed on the brakes.

I wondered if that was the terrible wreck that was supposed to have killed us, and I averted tragedy.  Next up was Marianna's for cheap onions.

As we drove down Cheyenne, there was a young man dressed up in a statue of liberty costume.  I guess it's almost tax time.  I looked at him, and as we passed, he raised his hand and waved to us.  We waved back.  He didn't wave to anyone else, just us.

"Well, that's weird," I said.  "I guess people are waving to us today."

At Marianna's we found the three pounds for a dollar onions and loaded up a produce bag.  I said I wanted cake, so we looked, and there was a bakery.  We chose a large piece of tres leches cake with peach sauce on top.

In line, I paid.  The guy in line in front of us was wearing a hat and sunglasses and had a beard, so it was impossible to see much of his face.

When we got to the car, I said, "Let's eat the cake now.  Do you want some?"  Ming did want some, so I took a plastic wrapped spoon out of the glove box.  A heart sticker was stuck on it, right in the middle of it.

"How did that sticker get there?" Ming asked.

"I don't know," I said.  The heart sticker had been floating around in the glove box and I just hadn't thrown it away.

I would eat a bite or two and pass the cake to him, and he ate a bite or two and passed it back to me.  I felt very happy, like we were very close family members, sharing this piece of tres leches cake.  "The pleasures of life," I said.

So we drove home, and I was kind of surprised when we got home without a car crash.

Then a little while ago I wanted to take a picture of the vegan Hungarian mushroom soup I'm making, so I took out my phone and saw my bestie had called me.  Not the bestie in Santa Barbara but the other one.  She never calls me, so I was surprised.  I thought she probably dialed me on accident and left a voicemail saying sorry.

But I listened to the voicemail, and it was an actual phone call.

Then I burned the rice, like with actual smoke and not just brown on the bottom but black.  I don't think I've ever done that before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home