dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, June 29, 2019

tassel anxiety

I was reading about Turkish towels.  I hear they're excellent because they're thinner, dry faster, stay cleaner.  Sounds great.

But then I saw the tassels.  I'm anti-tassel.  I think I got that from my mom, who is also anti-tassel.  She makes tons of scarves, and never with tassels or fringe.

True confession: I once ruined a mala by cutting off the tassel.  It fell apart.

I just think tassels distract from the actual thing.  I over-focus on the tassel(s) and it drives me crazy--petting a tassel, untangling its threads, worrying it will clump.  Delicateness of tassels.  I see a lot of goodness in simplicity.  I'm thinking a tassel changes the chi or something.

Oh, but I went through a phase of making bookmarks for a while.  And I actually made tassels for those.  And it was my mom who taught me how.  I think she knows how from doing macrame in the 1970s.

I guess the moral of this story is that life is confusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home