dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, February 08, 2020

miracle tomato says life is ok


We had this volunteer tomato plant that grew at the wrong time.  But small yellow flowers bloomed, and then some tomatoes grew.  It was amazing.  It was winter.

I saw the little green tomatoes and thought they would never ripen--they would just rot.  But then they turned this reddish color, and Ming picked the big one.

He washed it and sliced it--it was totally delicious.  The best tomato I ever had, maybe?  It was perfect.  It had a great strong but not over-strong flavor, great texture, nice balance between sweetness and acidity.  The peel was not too thick.  It was the right wetness.  Basically, this tomato lacked nothing.

Ming sliced it up, and he ate most of it, letting me try it.  Wow, I was very happy, somehow we nurtured this fruit though the colder months and could enjoy it as a treat in pre-spring.

Isn't it funny how a little thing can make me feel that life is ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home