dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, March 04, 2006

birds, moving

Today we went to the Cosumnes River nature preserve. We saw a great horned owl sitting on her nest through the spotting scope. That was a treat. We saw the last of the cranes on their way out. They were kettling, which means flying in high circles, getting ready to go, giving a cry now and then in case any of their buddies were down on the ground and wanted to migrate with them.

We got to use Erik's new binoculars. Paul said they were good and liked the strange way of focusing. Anyway, it was lovely, but we foolishly neglected to pack sandwiches, so after spending a couple hours with our friends at the visitor's center, we could only go for a short walk because it was well into lunch time. The highlight of the day: hugging Paul. I haven't met anyone so lovable in years.

www.cosumnes.org

Afterwards we went out to lunch at this place we got a free $25 gift card for Macaroni Grill. It was fine. I have a thing for fettucine alfredo, and it was good. We have leftovers.

New neigbors downstairs--we were spoiled for a long time with the happy privacy. Someone has just sneezed about 20 times in a row, and boy do I not like knowing that. I want to move now that spring is here and the kids are outdoors being loud again. Erik puts it best when he explains how they treat the whole apartment complex as their living room.

But I'm super-confused about whether we should move within Sacramento or move to a new town. It's hard to make a commitment. I mean, I would like to try putting down some roots here, but I'm afraid.

Maybe we should move wherever Ellen is because I need a best friend near me. Or maybe we should move near Santa Maria to be closer to my parents, brother, and little nieces. But the area lacks some things we need. Maybe we should go up to Portland, where a couple friends are, and it sounds great there. We also love Santa Cruz, but the housing isn't good. Too many choices, and no one choice stands out as remarkably the best. Let me know if you have an opinion on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home