dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

potatoes, words

I have some red potatoes we got for a dollar at the co-op clearance bin, and I tried making hash browns out of them, but they're really wet, and the hash browns never got crispy. I was unenthusiastic.

But this morning I made some baked potatoes out of them, and I couldn't be more pleased. They're magically creamy, somehow, and a heavenly treat with only butter and salt.

As for words, I wanted to tell you the only word from Urban Dictionary that has been incorporated into the Taylor-Lundgren vocabulary--I mean, the only one I learned from there that has become everyday--which is unprotected sleep.

him: Should I even set the alarm?

me: Of course! We can't have unprotected sleep now that you're working again.

He's working again, scoring at the grading factory on the project that finally broke me last year. He's sitting right next to T, and things are fine so far. We're on a new early sleep schedule, going to bed at 9:30 and getting up at 6:30 so he can sit, drink matcha, write his morning pages, and eat breakfast with a fresh morning mind.

4 Comments:

  • At March 06, 2007 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favorite time of every day is the morning, when I get up extra early to enjoy some me time, drinking coffee, playing some video games, doing some writing, crossword puzzles, cooking a healthy breakfast--it's the only time of the day when I have nowhere to be and no stresses to bring me down. I encourage everyone to get up 2 or 3 hours before you have to be anywhere.

     
  • At March 06, 2007 3:16 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yes, if we can keep up the self-discipline to get to bed early, we like this kind of life too.

     
  • At March 07, 2007 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wind up taking all my "me time" at night because I usually have to get up by six in order to be anywhere. I invariably wait until the last minute before stumbling out of bed. I sleep as late as possible on weekends. I don't feel bad about it because I read about another writer who slept every day until noon. Maybe you've heard of him? His name was Descartes.

     
  • At March 07, 2007 11:05 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    There's room for all different sleep-schedules in this wide world.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home