dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, September 14, 2007

found rosary

Yesterday Erik and I went for a walk and passed the Catholic church that's near our place, St Ignatius. I saw a rosary in the bushes and picked it up. It was beautiful, with pink beads, and it was broken and dirty. It must have been there for a long time. Was I the first one to see it there in the bushes, and how did it get there? We thought up possible situations: that some one was fed up with Catholicism and tossed her rosary on the way out. That a ghost had put it there. That a little kid was playing with it and forgot it there. None of our answers seemed right. I put it back where I had found it, and we continued with our walk.

4 Comments:

  • At September 14, 2007 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe it belonged to a young girl and when it got broken she became afraid and wanted to hide it from her dad so she threw it in the bushes. But before she threw it she closed her eyes so that when her dad asked her where it was she could say "I just don't know."

     
  • At September 14, 2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Brilliant, anonymous! You should write that story.

     
  • At September 15, 2007 7:14 AM, Blogger Alan Phipps said…

    Interesting story... ;) My former spiritual director, Fr. Art Wehr, is associate pastor of St. Ignatius in Sacramento. Previously he was at Our Lady of Sorrows in Santa Barbara.

     
  • At September 15, 2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Alan--it's been a long time, and I hope you and your wife are doing well in Sugar Land. What a coincidence about your former spiritual director! Yes, St Ignatius is less than a block away. I might go see what their mass is like just for fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home