dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Icarus planning

Last night was the meeting of my women's writers group. We sat on H's porch with candles. It was beautiful. I was feeling shy and didn't talk very much. I wrote about February.

Yesterday in the morning I met my new friend J for the first time. She and I discussed starting an Icarus group here in Sacramento. We also got to know one another a little bit. I like her a lot.

Here is some Icarus text from their website.

The Icarus Project envisions a new culture and language that resonates with our actual experiences of 'mental illness' rather than trying to fit our lives into a conventional framework.

We are a network of people living with experiences that are commonly labeled as bipolar or other psychiatric conditions. We believe we have mad gifts to be cultivated and taken care of, rather than diseases or disorders to be suppressed or eliminated. By joining together as individuals and as a community, the intertwined threads of madness and creativity can inspire hope and transformation in an oppressive and damaged world. Our participation in The Icarus Project helps us overcome alienation and tap into the true potential that lies between brilliance and madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home