dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, February 04, 2008

what I'm reading

A long time ago, when I was in grad school, Amy Gerstler gave us a set of poems to read and probably talk about--I don't remember talking about them--and one of my favorites was by Elaine Equi. So I was looking for it online, and I found out she has a new book out, Ripple Effect: New and Selected Poems. Is it new? I just checked, and it really is. Anyway, I'm halfway through and really like it. I got it on inter-library loan. One of my favorites so far is "Ambien."

AMBIEN

What did I just--
did I just ask you? What
did I say? I said that yesterday?
I thought I dreamt--
it also seems like milk,
something about milk.
I must have broken it.
That's Nutella on the light switch?
I should never answer emails after midnight.
Those are definitely raisins on the floor.
Never, never again.
I'll just take my pill and go right to sleep.
I'll wait until I'm already asleep to swallow it.
Wait, did I just take a pill?
You were here.
Did I just go into the other room?
Did you see me do that?

Last night Erik read me a scary fairy tale. It spooked us. The ending was ambiguous. Today during our walk I said it was like Blair Witch Project (which I have never seen). I told him that I wish I was still a teacher so I could bring that story to my class and make them talk about it.

2 Comments:

  • At February 04, 2008 11:22 PM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    I bought that book not long ago--I like Equi, too, and she is nice in small doses, a poem or two now and then. Have you read David Trinidad? I adore his early book, Hand Over Heart, and I also like his newest book, The Late Show.

    I didn't know you studied with Amy Gerstler! How was that? I admire her work.

     
  • At February 06, 2008 7:41 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Answered on your lj!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home