dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

happy election day

Well, it's finally here. We're in suspense. Erik and I both do absentee voting, but we didn't send in our ballots in time, so we need to go to the polling place this morning to drop off our ballots.

This morning it was 7:45--I was lying in bed half-asleep, when someone knocked insistently at the door. Erik answered. It was someone who needed bus fare trying to trade some milk and cereal for three dollars. Erik didn't know what to do but took the cereal and give him three dollars. "We're vegan," he told the man, and the man laughed. It turns out the cereal is Trix, something we'd never eat, so we're trying to think who to give it to. Erik said the man at the door might have been a neighbor--not sure.

Yesterday I saw my friend H. It was raining--pouring at times. We hung out at her apartment, drank tea, and watched Me and You and Everyone We Know. I cried only a little at one part. Then we went to Davis for a poetry-music-art event at a cafe called Delta of Venus. On the way, we got rear ended. I waited for a long time while H and the other driver talked. The poetry-music-art event was good. I enjoyed the music best. Where I was sitting, I couldn't see, so it was odd to be so near but not seeing. The band was two acoustic guitars and some kind of percussion instrument. The music was sung in Spanish, and some people danced. The poetry read was in both English and Spanish. The event had to do with art and democracy, war protest. It also had to do with Dia de los Muertos. I liked the energy there and friendliness though in general I'm not comfortable in groups. It was kind of crowded. If there were plenty of room, I would feel safer.

Yesterday Erik hiked with this friend T. They were at Cataract Creek. I haven't seen pictures yet.

This afternoon I'm working at the Vedanta bookstore--I traded shifts with V because SAT scoring starts Thursday. R is going to train me on how to burn CDs of lectures off the Sacramento Vedanta website.

I've been writing letters like mad--I have a stack of mail waiting to be sent. It's because I owed a lot of people letters, mostly zine friends, and I have this big to do list. So I've been crossing things off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home