dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, January 31, 2009

just little things

Today I had choir practice. There were only five of us. We sang a lot. Then I talked with P in the parking lot for a while. Her son had a terrifying experience. Bad news always makes me smile. I try to pinch myself.

Getting home, I pulled up to the curb--I parked--and I was being watched by people who were just outside my apartment complex. Three were standing, and one was sitting in an old beat-up chair. They were smoking, and the man who was sitting had a can of beer in his hand. When I walked by, they got silent. There was a very strange vibe. I checked the mail. "Is the mail here?" someone asked. I gathered my mail and answered, "Yeah, it is," and walked away.

Oh, at choir practice I was reading aloud the translation of the song we're singing for the memorial service of the old man who died. Oi Jay Daki Jai, something like that. C came in and interrupted me without so much as an "excuse me." She was looking for someone and had an old woman's cane--the old woman forgot her cane in the assembly room. I stared at the paper while she spoke so I wouldn't lose my place. When she left, I continued reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home