dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I finished Persuasion today.

Persuasion Persuasion by Jane Austen


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is the first Jane Austen book I've ever read. I tried many times when I was young. I found it to be easy reading but difficult to enjoy. It didn't have the vitality I look for. I didn't fall in love with any of the characters (though I liked Anne just fine). I didn't even find any of the characters appealing enough that I would want to spend time with them if they were people. I guess reading Persuasion has helped me learn about what I like in novels. I actually listened to it as an unabridged audiobook, which might have helped me get through the first chapter. If I didn't know it was unabridged, I would have blamed the abridgment for leaving too much out. The ending--though I knew what would happen--came out of nowhere. All the feelings seemed tamped down, and everything felt at arm's length. It's not the way life feels, to me. I'm glad I don't live in that world.


View all my reviews.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home