dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, April 10, 2010

bel canto

My day so far.

--finished a long letter
--sent mail
--grocery shopped
--made mushrooms on toast

I'm almost done with Erik and Laura-Marie Magazine 47. I decided to make it quarter size this time--haven't done that in a while. Usually I have poems I want more room for, but this issue has few poems, and the poems are small.

Something wonderful has happened. You know that library book I was so worried about? It must have finally arrived at its home library because it's no longer on my account record. So I will not owe $115. I am so happy, but I have a $7 fine I shouldn't have. Today we will go to the library and I will ask for them to take the fine off. Anything more than $5 and you can't check out books, and I have two waiting for me.

One is the newish Audrey Niffenegger book Her Fearful Symmetry--I really liked The Time Traveler's Wife and read it with my mom, which was neat. The other is Bel Canto which my ex best friend M recommended to me when I last saw her two weeks ago. (We talked about books over lunch. She was eating goat!) It doesn't sound at all like my usual read--it's about some terrorists who capture some people and hold them hostage and the relationships that form between the captives and the captivators. Why the heck would I read a book like that? I'm way too 'faidy cat. But she recommended it to me, so I requested it.

1 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2010 9:06 AM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    Bel Canto is very good--I listened to it on tape. It really is more about the relationships than the violence of the situation. It's intense, though.

    Glad the book cleared off your record, and I hope they zap the fine away, too.

    Thanks for the birthday card!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home