dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, October 11, 2010

cityhood

My neighborhood is called Arden Arcade. Right now there's controversy because some people want us to become our own city. When we drive around to the library, the bank, and Whole Foods, we see signs for and against cityhood. There are lots of signs both ways. There seems to be an even distribution of pro and con.

I don't know what I think, but just off the top of my head, I think I'm con. We got a flier in the mail, and cityhood seems to be a Republican kind of thing. Arden Arcade is a nice area, and I think the pro cityhood people want us to keep more of our tax money for ourselves. Maybe I'm too sleepy to explain this. I give up. Goodnight.

3 Comments:

  • At October 11, 2010 8:16 PM, Blogger Tom Spaulding said…

    I'm opposed. It means duplicating county services, which means duplicating the overhead. They will need increased taxes to pay for that additional overhead, but can't increase housing taxes, so they will be forced to seek new development. And it will create another minor pocket with a separate government in the area to fight against the rest, rather than work cooperatively for broader solutions for the whole area.

    I'd like to see Arden-Arcade join the city of Sacramento. Barring that, they should either stay unincorporated and rely on county government, or join Carmichael. Making Arden-Arcade a separate city makes no sense.

     
  • At October 11, 2010 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Which county services would be duplicated? Staying with the county seems to be a losing proposition with it's huge deficit. And how could Arden Arcade join Carmichael since that area is also an unincorporated area of the county? Seems like scare tactics to me.

     
  • At October 12, 2010 6:02 PM, Anonymous Carmichael8487 said…

    I'm a NO vote. Proponents are correct. Forming a new city will not necessarily increase taxes. But that's only true if current service levels are maintained. If we're just going to maintain current service levels, why bother? Vote No. If we're going to increase taxes to support expanded services, I'll still vote No.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home