dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Half Empty

I finished reading Half Empty by David Rakoff today. It was a sad ending because he talks about getting cancer again. I really don't want him to die. I read three of his books within the past few months and feel very fond of him. Also, my friend P sent me a link to a Jon Stewart interview with him, and he was all bald from chemotherapy. It was strange to see him and hear him talk, after reading the books only. I would like there to be many more books.

2 Comments:

  • At November 16, 2010 9:54 AM, Blogger HardtravelingHero said…

    I couldn't finish or really get into Fraud right now. I thought I was bad with lots of obscure references to things before and during my generation's time, but Rakoff takes it to some other level. I can still appreciate and enjoy most of what he writes, but I'm so often at a loss. I think I'd need to be an 80 year old woman or a whatever aged gay men to get more of his in-jokes.

    Does that make me sound prejudiced?

     
  • At November 16, 2010 10:00 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Ah, I wish you'd made it to the end because that last essay makes the book.

    Yes, some references in Fraud were lost on me, but I didn't mind.

    I feel that way about crossword puzzles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home