dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, November 12, 2010

my oatmeal recipe

I'm scoring SAT and not much else is going on. Last night I looked through my journal and found poems and poem-bits that I typed up and tinkered with--that was fun. I made a nice stir fry for dinner last night, with bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, and fresh basil. It was really good.

My friend A asked me to share my oatmeal recipe. It's enough for two people.

2 1/4 cups soymilk
1 cup oatmeal
dash salt
2 tsp earth balance
2 tbsp flax seed meal
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
two dashes of cinnamon

Heat the soymilk and oatmeal and salt in a saucepan to boiling. Turn down the heat and allow it to simmer until most of the soymilk is absorbed, maybe ten minutes. Meanwhile, get two bowls. Divide the earth balance, flax seed meal, brown sugar, and walnuts into each bowl. When the oatmeal is done cooking, add the cinnamon and stir well. Dish the oatmeal into each bowl and stir well.

Note: depending on whether or not the soymilk you use has sugar in it, you might want more or less brown sugar.

Also note: for variation, you can add chopped peeled apple.

2 Comments:

  • At November 12, 2010 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LM: Would you consider letting me publish this (or any other recipe of your choice) in the November issue of The Derailleur? I'm collecting recipes for that issue because it's Thanksgiving. Oatmeal would be perfect because it's a warm meal that is filling and that's great for bike-commuting in the winter! --willow

     
  • At November 12, 2010 1:52 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Willow--absolutely. I would be happy if you used my recipe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home