dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, March 05, 2011

molasses

Last night was a meeting of my women's religious group. It's been moved to a new place, my friend V's house. Her house is amazing. It's spacious yet warm, very clean, and the room where the shrine is now was twice as big as I expected. I was comfortable there. The shrine room is painted a beautiful yellow.

Today Erik's at the REI used gear sale. He's planning to stay for hours because they bring out new stuff as the day passes. He's got my cell phone and is going to call before he buys. So I'm stuck by the phone.

Sunny today. I've been making my oatmeal with molasses instead of brown sugar. Is molasses vegan, I'm now wondering? I know it comes from the sugar-making process, but I will have to look it up.

edit to add:

Molasses is a by-product of the sugar industry. It is made exclusively using cane sugar that has not been treated with a bone charcoal filter, because the manufacturers want to keep the brown color.

http://www.vegan2050.org/Article-14-Frequently%2Basked%2Bquestions%2Babout%2Bveganism.html#heading3question12

1 Comments:

  • At March 05, 2011 9:49 PM, Blogger betasheep said…

    Molasses is the only sweetener with any nutritive value because, ounce for ounce, it has more potassium than any other food source. It beats bananas by a mile.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home