dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, September 11, 2011

yesterday's adventures in paper


East Bay Depot For Creative Reuse is a shop in Oakland where you can buy tons of junk for really cheap. For example, I bought some postcards that depict a painting called Tiger Toilet. I bought a class portrait of an elementary school class from 1932. I bought a piece of paper printed with alphabet pictures and some pale pink Japanese envelopes. I bought all kinds of other paper junk, like a poster of Van Gogh's Starry Night folded in quarters. I thought I'd write letters on it. I got a lot of paper junk for $2.18.



Urban Ore is a huge warehouse in Berkeley that has all kinds of junk. This junk is bigger, like doors and windows and furniture. But there are books and paper things too. I looked at photos for a long time, like people's snapshots, all in a drawer. I ended up finding some beautiful letterpress printed Christmas cards and a few other paper things, like this. It's heavier cardboard than a postcard--I don't know what the term is for it, but I'm sure there's a term.

1 Comments:

  • At September 13, 2011 9:55 PM, Anonymous MC said…

    I love junk! I love making stuff out of junk maybe more than I love junk. Sounds like a great day. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home