dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, February 10, 2013

fiber arts fun

Yesterday we went to the craft store to buy earring making stuff.  It's overstimulating there, and I'm always happy to leave.  But I got some gorgeous beads and findings and a tool I need. 

So afterward we went for a walk at McKinley Park, and by chance there was a weaving show there.  I loved seeing the baskets people had made.  I loved looking at the woven tea towels. (I have a thing for tea towels.)  I liked seeing the clothes people had made.  I was not so into the looms.  I shyly appreciated seeing the people spin with the spinning wheels, something I don't remember ever seeing before.

But the highlight of the trip was a visit with Franco Rios, a DIY fiber arts person.  He showed us a cardboard spinning wheel he'd designed and made himself using less than $5 worth of materials.  It sort of looks like a record player.  He was spinning wool into yarn there.

He talked to us about finger weavings he likes to do on the bus and showed us a beautiful red and white one.  He showed us a bag making project he was doing using synthetic yarns.  It was a pleasure to talk with him, and he told us he has the design for his cardboard spinning wheel on the internet, which I think is a very good deed, that he'll share his design with the world.

So here's his blog, which I'm still exploring myself.

http://francosfiberadventure.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home