dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

mushroom happy

Today we went to Talini's for a Greek mountain tea plant.  I am so excited to grow it!  We also picked up a six pack of pea starts.  And some bean seeds. 

So then we went to Trader Joe's (right across the street) for produce and fake meat.  Then we went to our garden plot downtown to plant the Greek mountain tea--we put it where the hated celery was.  So I hope it will grow sweetly and wild and overtake any bad celery roots that might be there in the ground. 

And we planted two pea plants there at that garden.

Then we came home and ate burritos with refried beans and soy chorizo and bell pepper for lunch. 

Is this TMI?  Here's the exciting part.  We went into the backyard and planted three more pea plants, which was fun, harvested some carrots and ate most of them on the spot.  I ate some late pea pods off the plants from a few months ago.  And I ate some broccoli flowers from the broccoli that never really got harvested. 

Okay, here's the really exciting part.  Remember how we went to this place where they grow mushrooms and got some mushroom compost, a month ago?  Did I tell you about it?  Anyway, we spread free mushroom compost around the garden, and mushrooms started coming up.  We mostly ignored them.  But today I harvested some fresh ones, washed them, fried them up in olive oil, added salt, and we ate them.  They were so good. 

"I have never had mushrooms fresher than these," I told Ming as we stood eating them in the kitchen.  And I was happy.

2 Comments:

  • At February 12, 2013 6:57 PM, Anonymous r said…

    Brave girl. I would be scared I would die a painful mushroom poison death.

     
  • At February 14, 2013 8:30 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Well, Ming was scared. But they were the same type of mushrooms that had been growing on the substrate at the mushroom farm. So I was confident they were okay.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home