dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, January 01, 2015

your silence will not protect you

I have a new year theme.  Last year's was Never In a Hurry, which served me so well that I would like it to be my life theme, or maybe my decade theme.

But my new one for 2015 is Your Silence Will Not Protect You.  It's a quote.

I even ordered a bumper sticker that says my year's theme--it hasn't arrived yet.  I need to figure out exactly what it means to me.

This morning when we went to Safeway to buy black-eyed peas, a worker bumped me when he took my handbasket.  That's a pet peeve of mine, and should I have said something?  I want to speak up for myself, but I don't want to be a jerk.

So I need to figure it out, which is fine.

I was going to die, if not sooner then later, whether or not I had ever spoken myself. My silences had not protected me. Your silence will not protect you. -- Audre Lorde

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home