dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, December 18, 2015

bad vigil

Last night we went to a vigil.  It had a program--speakers, singers.  They sang the national anthem for some unknown reason.  It was the worst event I had ever been to.  The more I think about it, the more horrible I find it.  But our friend J liked it.  So maybe my perspective is skewed.

The mic worked only minimally so we couldn't hear much.  Someone read a long essay she'd written about her son's heroin addiction, and I couldn't figure out how it fit.  She had a lot of pain and grief about her son, but why did I have to listen to that?  I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to be the audience for it.

And when people talked, she would stop reading and stare at them and tell them to stop talking while she read.  And toward the end the person running the show asked her to stop reading and she insisted on continuing.  It was just bad.

The only part I kind of liked was the reading of the names of the homeless people who had died throughout the year.  It was solemn and I tried to think about those people and send love to them and honor them though they are gone.

I also liked the candlelight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home