dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, October 27, 2018

chocolate peanuts

This lady I don't know is having a crisis.  She was on facebook talking about wanting to die and her pain. 

Then she said she ate chocolate peanuts for breakfast and was so ashamed.  I started crying because there's so much pain in this world.  And people make it worse for themselves. 

Where did her shame come from?  What adult or tv commercial or whatever made this woman hate herself for a food choice while she is suffering to the point of death?  Someone told her she was fat, probably lots of people: doctors, strangers, the well-meaning.

It touched a nerve.  I wanted to tell her, "I'm not ashamed of you.  I don't care how many pounds you weigh.  You are valuable and worthy.  Its okay, whatever you manage to eat for breakfast."

But who am I--she doesn't know me.  Ming is seeing me cry and says I should tell her I'm moved and I care about her. 

But what good is my care.  She's there, I'm here, I'm overloaded, and I can't really do anything for her.  In a reply to her post she says something about going back to the grocery store for coffee and slimfast.

I escaped that, but this poor lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home