dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, March 02, 2020

language geek

"Did you read my blog?" I asked Ming.

"I did," he said.

"Did you like it?" I asked.

"I did!" he said.

"What was your favorite part?" I asked.

He thought a second.  "The length," he said.

"Ah, you're a size queen for blog posts," I said.  I guess if he likes the descriptiveness, more could be better.  Later he said he liked the dystopian hotel room part.

The printer made a sound that meant it was about to print.  Neither of us had asked for printing, so we knew it was R, probably printing homework.

So he could come over soon to pick up his papers, and we could talk to him.  Or he could forget about his papers, and we would leave them on top of the printer to languish.

"I thought of something funny last night that made me laugh and laugh, and now I'm not sure if it's funny at all," I said to Ming.

Story of my life!  Or wow, this poem looked good last night.  Now--what was I thinking.

The funny thing--laundry deterrent.  A special liquid that keeps you from doing laundry.

I guess I've been into typos lately.  Thinking of the radical mental health collective as the radial metal heath collective.  I'm a language geek.

What is heath, anyway?  A special plant on the moors in England?  A delicious candy bar of chocolate-covered toffee?  The name of an ex-friend's kid?

I started studying French again.  Why is that?  Sounds fun.  I figure I had a bunch of French in my head already.  My accent is totally hopeless, but I can write it.  If I can get the accent marks to face the right way.  Hahahahaha!

Meanwhile, duolingo seems so awkward.  More like a game related to language than actually learning a language.  I don't know how to speak Spanish at all, but I know what to click so a green owl will praise me.

Hmm, that reminds me of something.  Another story of my life.  Something about faking it, trying to pass as neurotypical, trying to pass at all.  Doing the things I need to do to live, even though many of them make no sense whatsoever to me.

Maybe I should ask my language master polyglot friend if she has any accent advice for me.  I'm thinking she's going to tell me to talk to people.  It's hard enough to talk to people in English.


My bestie made this bracelet for me a long time ago.  I was happy to wear it today, after not wearing it for years, that it fits.  I felt her love.  I asked Ming to take a picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home