dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, March 06, 2006

Point Reyes National Seashore

Today I wanted to make issue 35 of the zine and do some Sacramento things, but Erik wanted to go to Point Reyes, so we did. It was our first time.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/

It's a big place with a variety of plant communities! I thought it was going to be like Point Lobos, for some reason, which is rocky and foggy. But it's not. It's got conifers, sandy beach, lots of ranches and pasture land, and some wet canyons.

We saw cows (some with beautiful big udders full of milk), elk (there's an elk preserve), deer, farm dogs, farm cats, chickens, ravens, crows, red-winged black birds, a starling, turkey vultures, some hawks, and a little hawk-like bird I think was kestrel.

We saw ferns, oaks, whole fields of bush lupine (not yet in bloom), dudlyeas, California poppies, mustard and radish, cala lillies (which I actually hate--some got loose, evidently), monkeyflower bushes, and lots of gorgeous plants I don't know the names of, like some sweet little blue cup flowers, something that looks like locoweed but with red-pink flowers, a tendril vine that might be a native grape.

We got lost on the way home in the dark and had to do some creative navigation, which I don't mind. It's not the first time the map-book my mom got me at Costco has gotten us out of a mysterious area.

At home, I'm still very irritated with the noises of the new neighbors. I feel off-kitler and emotional. In some ways, my mind is really in the past, as I process the past anew, for various reasons, including contact with people from the past, which happens a lot with myspace, for example.

Also, everything with work is up in the air, for me, and Erik's starting at the grading factory Monday. I want a place of calmness to function from, but everything seems unsettled and fast-moving. I need to find some peace. Being out today I was able to do some thinking and wrote a letter to Ellen. But peace is hard to find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home