dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, April 01, 2006

expensive watch

Erik's reading the Popular Science magazine, which comes free, and told me, "Guess how much the most expensive watch is. Just guess!"

"I don't believe it. However much it is."

"One point five million dollars," he said. "It has sky and moon charts. But for that much, I'd rather have an observatory...."

I used all my power to get him to take the weekend off, since SAT scoring starts on the sixth. At the grading factory, they're offering pizza and raffles to encourage weekend work, which if there was a union, as there should be, would be a scoffed-at joke.

He says there should be a union--I say, "Go ahead." We want to benefit from one, but we don't feel moved to dedicate our lives to it.

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. - Simone Weil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home