dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, September 01, 2006

happy September

I think September is my favorite month. I love it when summer ends--I love fall because life seems possible again. Also, it's my birthday month, and I'm turning 30 this year, which is really exciting and a little scary. I've been thinking about it all year and preparing myself emotionally.

Yesterday Erik and I went to the Bay area and had a perfect day. We went swimming in the ocean and played like kids in the waves. Some seals were swimming a little further out, and we got excited when we saw their heads above the water. It was a beach day much like the beach days I had every summer when I was a kid at Avila. But this was at Stinson Beach.



We went to Muir Woods, where we took a walk. The redwoods and ferns and creeks are beautiful, but it was very crowded there. Erik hiked while I wrote a long, healing letter to my friend C. I bought some gorgeous postcards, which I will scan for your viewing pleasure.



Then we went to Indian food at our usual place in Berkeley, where the worker flirted with me, which I found embarassing as well as a little flattering. I told Erik that he's paying next time, because I can't take the heat.

"How are you?" I asked.
"Much better," he said, looking down.
"Were you sick?" I asked.
"Much better now that I see you," he said and made eyes at me.

What a player! This is unusual for me, so pardon my marvelling. The food was great, never better: creamy banghan bartha, creamy paneer tikka masala. The rotis were thicker than usual and so wonderful to eat, doughy, sink my teeth into.

Today I sent my first postcard to Iran, which was special, and we got some good groceries at Trader Joe's--we went at 2 in the afternoon, which was the perfect time because it wasn't rushed and crowded yet there was a delicious sample--mango soy ice cream with superfluous berries. I received a letter from a new penpal in Guatamala.

Life is good, and we're planning to go back to Berkeley next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home