dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, October 08, 2006

trials

My computer has been behaving very badly since last night. We thought (hoped?) it was the power supply and got a new one at Fry's, and Erik switched them out, but it doesn't seem to have been the power supply. It's working randomly. Everything's fine tonight, but tomorrow it might not turn on again. Motherboard? Just the switch? We're super-confused and don't know quite what to do.

But we nicknamed our old power suply Medusa Head.

To make matters more confusing, while we were at Fry's, we bought some RAM for Erik's computer, and now his won't turn on, at all. It doesn't even try. So we went from two working computers yesterday morning to zero working computers this afternoon, and now we have one.

Trying to decide what to do. Erik's is super-old, slow, and crashes all the time, a hand-me-down from my parents. So we were thinking of buying a new cheap E-Machine and that would be his. I would keep mine, and hopefully we could get it to work....

Meanwhile, I think we need to return the power supply and the RAM, which is a pain. We backed up a bunch of stuff that's on my hard drive just in case. I don't even know what to do if it is the motherboard. Just give up? But if the hard drive was still fine, then? I know it's possible to do so much more than we're capable of doing.

This morning we slept in unusually late, and I missed worship service. I was feeling quite depressed mid-day. Vespers in the evening was very nice, and now I'm feeling fine. Emotional roller coasters lately.

It's getting cold at night but was quite warm today, 80. I got two letters and a postcard in the mail yesterday--good mail day.

2 Comments:

  • At October 08, 2006 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If it's the motherboard, I think you have to give up. And as for the hard drive, if you're building a new computer, get a new hard drive. They start to fail after awhile and you might as well start off fresh. I can relate to your computer woes. I ended up melting my friend's processor because I had to remove the heatsink to get the new hard drive in and couldn't get it seated back in properly... sigh

    Best of luck with the computer. We'll miss you if you have to be down for awhile...

     
  • At October 09, 2006 7:22 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Thanks for the advice and kind words, R.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home