dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

signs

This morning, Erik and I took an early walk in the cloudy mist. We noticed "RON PAUL 08" posters on every telephone pole, and I was dismayed by them. I thought about ripping them down as we walked by, because I think it's wrong to advertise political views on public property. Well, I'm more understanding of signs put up on freeway overpasses. They're interesting, at least.

Anyway, Erik reassured me that Ron Paul isn't even in the top three Republicans running. Then we got to talking about candidates. I'm not a Democrat or Republican--I'm registered Green Party--so I don't need to worry about whether I like Clinton, Obama, or whoever the best. I suppose it would be responsible of me to have an opinion. I intuitively gravitate toward Clinton. But I don't know if I can trust her. I think she and I have some important differences, like I heard she voted for some flag protection law (I think flag burning should be a right). And I heard she hasn't been good about the war. Maybe nowadays she is, but before. When she was young, she was quite a feminist--I saw part of a documentary about her years ago--but I don't know if she still would be considered much of a feminist. As for Obama, I know nothing about him. Kucinich appeals to me as the peace candidate, but I know next to nothing about him. Same ignorance about Edwards. The whole thing makes me feel overwhelmed and pessimistic.

I went to Wikipedia's entry about the candidates, and seeing all those men and one woman in their suits, with their practiced smiles--it's too much for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home