dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

a bad fight

Last night there was a bad fight at the apartment complex. The new neighbors got into an argument with the crazy lady. (The crazy lady is a mentally ill person who lives downstairs. She used to have an orange cat. I don't know what happened to it.) There was yelling, door slamming, and profanity for about two hours. I think someone called the cops at some point, but it didn't do any good. Anyway, I thought it was all over. Then about 10:30 someone clomped up the stairs and started pounding on our door. I was terrified. Erik and I were in bed with the light still on. We ignored it--they pounded about five times. Then they gave up and left. We heard them mutter, "Chicken shit." We don't know who it was. It could have been the crazy lady. But we think it's more likely that it was the new neighbors. But the pounding sounded very angry, and I don't know how anyone could be mad at us. We were totally uninvolved. Maybe they were mad at us for being uninvolved?

At any rate, I'm worried about today, what to do if someone confronts us. I'm worried about walking through the apartment complex to our car, and I'm worried about someone knocking on the door too. What should we do?

Also, there's laundry to wash. I guess we should hold off for a few days and see if things calm down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home