dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, March 01, 2008

social life

This morning I woke up wanting to go to church, only to be disappointed that it's Saturday.

Yesterday I saw my friend A. It was only our second time getting together. She lives far away.

She came with her two daughters, who are two and I think nine. We went to the park and stayed past dusk. We saw bats and some young hoods trying to hurt the bats. Then we went to Indian food at Kaveri. I was a little worried about how the kids would behave, but they were delightful. Dinner was delicious. Then we went to Trader Joe's. I got tortillas and pitas only. A tried to pay for these. I resisted. She did treat me to dinner, which made me feel good. When I thanked her, she said, "Any time." I like her more than I have liked any new person in quite a while. We have so much in common but some fascinating differences too.

It was my first time meeting the older daughter G, and I was worried about this. But it turns out she's really nice. She talked to me. I watched her ride her pink scooter, and she showed me where she'd decorated it with stickers. Both girls look very striking--stunningly beautiful. The younger has red hair, which gets comments, but none that I heard yesterday.

A funny moment was when I was standing near the swings and a kid ran up. "Can you put me in there?" she asked. She wanted into one of the swings for little kids. I thought about it and said okay and lifted her into the swing, though she was a bit heavy. "Now will you push me?" she asked. I thought about that and started pushing her. Then her mom came up, and the girl requested that her mom push her. The mom said sorry and looked embarrassed.

My favorite moment was sitting on the bench together while A read my zine functionally ill #2. That's the one with an octopus on the cover. She liked it.

Last night, home again, I reread it--it had been a while. I realized that I mention my voices quite a bit, which is weird, because they're such a tiny part of my life. I'm afraid I give the impression that they bother me a great deal, which isn't true at all.

It was a super nice visit. I was really quiet, but I hope the more I see A, the more I talk.

Today I'm having lunch with my friend K at the zoo. Tomorrow is high tea at a tea place in old town. I was supposed to go to Girl Movie Night also, but they canceled the Daria movie, so I'm not going.

2 Comments:

  • At March 11, 2008 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post.

    I love the bit about the girl and the swing. So funny. I can imagine it being in a Miranda July type movie.
    Imagine how that kid will be when she grows up. A beautifully drawn character.

    btw I surfed in from cute overload to another blog, then here. I have bipolar so I'm interested in the Icarus stuff.

    Kim, Melbourne, Australia.

     
  • At March 11, 2008 11:08 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi, Kim! Thanks for dropping by. You're so right about how the swing kid could be in a Miranda July movie. It was a moment about intimacy and trust and the ways we treat one another.

    I haven't spoken with my friend J about starting an Icarus group here since we met at Peet's that day. For some reason, I've failed to do that--usually I'm good about sending follow-up emails....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home