dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

how the workshop went

Last night we went to the poetry workshop downtown, the same one I went to with my women's writers group two weeks ago. I wanted to go for the social contact, and maybe to make new friends. I could use a couple more local friends.

It didn't go well. They pick everyone's poems apart in a way that feels cold--no one gives a holistic reading of the poem--it's very different from my experiences with other workshops as an undergrad and in grad school. Also, some of the smartest women from last time didn't show up this time, and I missed them. As it was, the workshop was dominated by men.

It was a bad experience, and I don't want to go again, but I know that with different people, it's a whole different scene. They didn't seem to like my poem's project, and I can't blame them--it takes more than one poem for people to learn how to read my poems. I would have liked it a lot better if the women from my writers group had been there and could speak about my poem from a richer perspective.

Anyway, Erik was stellar. He shared important insights and spoke bravely. I think he should go back without me. He felt like two of the men at the workshop became antagonistic towards him. It's complicated. But he had a better experience over all than I did.

The women's writers group seems to have fallen apart. We've had to change days of the week a few times, and it's no longer clear when our meeting is supposed to be. Also, we have no set location for the meetings. I think the burden of location has fallen on one of the women, and that's not fair--I mean, the default location became her apartment. I don't think she likes that. So I plan to send out an email this morning about our next meeting.

Erik has a focus group-like interview this morning, something having to do with technology. He's getting paid $75, which is nice, for only 45 minutes of interview. This is with a company we've done focus groups with before, and it's pleasant there.

I have therapy today and nothing else. I haven't been practicing harmonium at all, and I should be, if I want to cover the worship service when P will be away at a family reunion one weekend in July. This thought has been at the back of my mind, worrying me.

Erik got his hiking boots fixed--the insole had worn a hole--so now he's ready for more hiking. It was cheap to get them fixed.

Lately I've been dancing in the mornings instead of going for a walk. There are fires all over California, and the smoke is unpleasant. Erik gets air quality reports and warnings through email, and the air has been bad. We've been staying indoors. But I think we're getting vitamin D deficient, and I know sunlight is good for depression, so we plan to going to the park today to sit in the sun for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home