dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, July 26, 2008

you just can't do things your body wasn't meant to

Today is the big summer retreat at my place of worship. The swami from the St Louis center comes to give talks. There's a day-long program. I went in the morning to sing for worship.

Worship is done entirely in Sanskrit except for one prayer at the end which is translated into English.

Twameva Mata, Chapita Twameva
Twameva Bhandus, Chasaka Twameva
Twameva Vidyea, Dravenam Twameva
Twameva Sarvum, Mama Deva Deva

Thou art to me, oh Lord, the affectionate mother,
constantly looking to my well being.
Thou art to me, oh Lord, the compassionate father,
whose care and counsel always guide and sustain me.
Thou art the faithful friend,
ever standing by me in trials and temptations.
And the loving companion to share my joys and sufferings.
Thou art my wisdom, my wealth—
nay, thou art my all in all, oh Lord supreme.


However, once a month J does worship, and she does it entirely in English. So when I show up Sunday mornings, I usually don't know who's going to be doing worship. I like the Sanskrit better, but it's good to hear the English every once in a while.

Anyway, worship is performed every day, but there's only singing on Sunday mornings, except for special occasions like today's retreat.

After Sunday worship, there's flower offering. Devotees go up in pairs and bow down and offer flowers. It's simple and beautiful--I go through phases where I do it and don't do it. Lately I do it. I offer two flowers--one for me and one for Erik. I might offer three flowers--one for some other friend who I feel close to. Like I sometimes offer a flower for my best friend E, or my good friend A. In the winter, in addition to flowers, there are berries offered also--a particular bush on the grounds makes a tiny orange-red berry--so in the winter I offer a little spray of those, which is for all my peeps.

Then is coffee time--I don't drink coffee. I'm the only one who drinks water. There are cookies, and there's prasad See's candy. I usually get the maple one, or a caramel. Or if there's only chocolate, I bring it home for Erik.

Coffee time I sit with B, who used to be my enemy and is now my friend, thought he's still not allowed to touch me. Every once in a while he'll break the rule and pat me on the hand. B is a monk, but he never wears special monk clothes, so he looks like a regular person.

B used to call me Laura. Now he calls me Laura-ji, which I think means "honorable Laura." Sometimes I call return the compliment, calling him B-ji.

I have to go back at 2 for choir practice and then we might sing a song around 3:45, depending on how long a special singer sings. I can't remember her name--she comes from the bay area. Something Indian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home