dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

seitan and more

Yesterday we made seitan, also known as "wheat meat." It's fake meat made from wheat gluten. We followed a recipe we got off the internet. We did a good job following the recipe. But the seitan turned out way too salty. Erik likes it. But I can't eat it. Next time, less soy sauce. We need a new recipe.

We used to joke around a lot about how seitan sounds like satan. Then we started to irritate ourselves and don't joke about it anymore.

This morning we went to McKinley park again. We brought snacks and water, so we were able to sit by the duck pond for a much longer time today. Erik wrote haiku. I wrote in my journal and read two zines that I didn't like at all. They had been highly recommended to me, but I found the tone biting. They were both self-righteous, boring. They were ranty. Oh well. The vast majority of my zines I get through trades, but I actually bought these ones. I'll donate them to the Long Haul Infoshop's zine library, which is what I do with most of the zines I read. (A few I keep, and a few I pass on to friends who I think would like them.)

Then we went to the McKinley library where Erik looked at DVDs and CDs. He found some Mozart violin concertos and some Takemitsu.

Today's high is 93, which is as hot as it gets around here lately. It's been a mild summer, and I couldn't be more pleased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home