dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, October 02, 2008

the haps

Yesterday we went to a free concert at noon downtown. We intended to go to Land Park and then Oto's Japanese grocery store, but I suddenly remembered about the concert, so we went there instead, half an hour early. We loitered in the courtyard of the church where the concert was, and it was fun to look at the fountains and flowers and trees.

The concert was Baroque: recorder, harpsichord, and old-style oboe. They played lots of Telemann. It was very good. The recorder player kicked ass--she's my hero.

Then for dinner I went to pizza with my friend H. We went to the pizza place voted best in Sacramento, Zelda's. It was really dark in there. I loved it. We got a pesto pizza, and it was just about the richest food I have ever tasted.

Then we had writer's group meeting, and I was so quiet I didn't speak hardly at all, and I was the only one who didn't read after the writing exercise. I feel embarrassed at my shyness and wish it weren't so. Maybe I won't go back. I don't know if I belong.

Today I worked at the Vedanta bookstore, and it was very stressful. Swami came in with three emails he'd received (printed out), and all three he asked me to take care of. I said I would. Lots of work stuff then ensued--it would take so long to explain and would be very dry, so I will just say that I'm waiting for a phone call from my bookstore boss telling me where a very important piece of paper went, and he and I aren't on good terms, so I don't think he'll call.

Something I keep forgetting to mention is that we think the person known as "the crazy lady" moved away. There used to be about twenty spider plants outside her door, and now they're conspicuously absent. The place seems uninhabited. So we're using the stairway that passes in front of that apartment again, and it's a nice feeling to know she's gone. But very strange. Now we're the people who've been here longest: four and a fourth years.

2 Comments:

  • At October 05, 2008 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi darlin',

    First of all, I love that you called this "The Haps." I like to ask people that. "What's the haps?" Sometimes people look at me funny when I do that. But I guess I'm use to doing things that make people look at me funny. Anyway - enough about me!

    I'm sorry to see that your second workshop experience wasn't so good. :( Let's meet again, soon, just the three of us.

    Peace,
    H

     
  • At October 07, 2008 3:47 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    I am totally game.

    <3 LM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home