dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Fibber Island

Yesterday in the morning we went to Effie Yeaw, a wildlife refuge. We saw lots of deer and wild turkeys-- wild turkeys are my favorite. We sat by a fast- moving section of the American River. Then we walked around and sat by a pond. I wrote a letter to my loved friend R in Berkeley. Then I read Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich, and it went all spooky on me--lots of stuff about satan--very dark, and I don't know if I'll be able to keep going.

I went to bed at 7:30. I don't know why I was so exhausted. I went to bed with all my clothes on.

This morning we went to the river, American River. We walked for a while, and then we got to a place where we could go on a big island. We crossed where the river got shallow--there were rocks to cross on--and we went up a steep, eroding dirt path. Then we were on the island. We walked around, and there were many little white clam shells on the ground. Erik was very happy. But we were worried we'd come upon someone who had claimed the island as their home.

I was tired and hungry, so we left. "What should we call the island?" Erik asked, and I immediately replied, "Fibber Island." Then I got the song "Candy Man" from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory stuck in my head.

We stopped at the library where we picked up two documentaries, Into Great Silence and My Architect. We came home and had avocado toast for lunch.

Then we went to Vedanta. It was time for me to train U, the woman who's taking my place at the bookstore. I brought my boom box because I needed a tape player to check a master. So I trained her on how to make CDs, how to make tapes, and how to do the project of converting tapes of Swami Shradhanana's lectures to CDs. We checked the master. It took about two hours to do all this training.

And that is the story of my incredible day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home