dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bay Area Free Book Exchange

Lucky for us, the Bay Area Free Book Exchange had good signs up, so we were able to find the place having forgotten to write down the address. I enjoyed looking through all the books. They were unsorted, though there were category words taped to the shelves. There was no poetry section, unfortunately. Oh, well, there was a little sorting--there was an area with a few maps. I almost snagged one to use for envelope making but thought it would be better if someone wanted them as maps.

I got Virginia Woolf's The Years and Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge to give away--I have and loved both. I got Writing a Woman's Life by Carolyn Heilbrun and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri for me. Carolyn Heilbrun is a writer I like--she wrote some mysteries under the name of Amanda Cross. And Interpreter of Maladies is a book I tried listening to on Playaway during my long trip--I found it boring. But maybe it would read better on paper, so I was tickled to find that.

Erik got Lolita, which I spotted for him, and something I can't remember as well as Blue Highways which he picked up for his best friend T.

I need to think of who to give the Hardy and the Woolf to. Anyone reading want either? Just let me know.

2 Comments:

  • At September 06, 2009 6:32 PM, Blogger HardtravelingHero said…

    Hi,

    Did you ever finish Love Medicine?

    I was given a second copy, so I will use to share Erdrich with those I like.

    I don't have The Years, I don't think, so this could be enjoyable as I've read Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando and not Woolf, but The Hours as well. I think the book or movie of the latter would severely depress you. Have you experienced either? It depressed me and one other person I know who read it. It affected me a lot at the time.

    Have you read David Sedaris? Totally off topic, but he writes humor.

    As for Blue Highways, I was reading that while on the road three years ago and didn't finished it for a while after I returned to New York, but it was good. Got to take it in in pieces.

    I have yet to read Lolita, but I have an annotated copy and have see the movie twice, which I think gets a bit boring half way through. Of course I've read the first to chapters of Reading Lolita in Tehran for a class. I'll finish it someday, but I heard it gets repetitive, but I think you'll like its feminism, from what I remember.

    If you can get a copy of Marjane Satrapi's Embroiders (and of course Persepolis), read, read, read! I suggest The Complete Persepolis first, so you get to know the "characters" before getting into Embroideries.

     
  • At September 07, 2009 11:15 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Hi--yes, I finished Love Medicine and enjoyed it a great deal. I reviewed it in an Erik and LM Magazine.

    Thanks for the warning against The Hours. I haven't experienced the book or movie. Sorry it depressed you.

    Yes, I've read some David Sedaris. I've had his Holidays on Ice that I keep meaning to read and not reading.

    I tried Blue Highways long ago and found it self-indulgent (like I should talk!).

    I've seen Lolita the movie too, but it was a long time ago, and all I remember is the scene where HH is paying Lolita for sex and saying it's not fair for her to change prices mid-act. Something like that.

    I've put The Complete Persepolis on my Amazon list to remind myself to read it someday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home