dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, August 24, 2009

report on SF Zine Fest

Yesterday Erik and I went to San Francisco Zine Fest. We went a few years ago and had a mixed experience, but this year was super fun.

We looked at all the tables, and I bought some zines from The Icarus Project, which was money well-spent. I also bought some postcards, some birthday cards, some other postcards.... I also got two comix zines from my school chum John Isaacson who I hadn't seen in more than 10 years. What a trip!

I went to a free bookbinding workshop, where I made some templates for mini-books made from one piece of paper as well as a cute little plain journal with white paper, a gray cover, and bound with red waxed thread. While I was bookbinding, Erik walked around at the arboretum. This was at Golden Gate Park.

To get there, we drove in to Berkeley and from there took the BART and then took the MUNI light rail into the city. I was worried to take the MUNI light rail, but we did great. It was pretty easy.

On the way home there was some construction and a traffic jam, but we got home okay. I had a hard time falling asleep thinking how such wonderful things are in the world.

4 Comments:

  • At August 24, 2009 11:24 PM, Blogger Amanda Laughtland said…

    Hooray, what an excellent report! So so glad this was a fun day for you!

    Are these some single-sheet zine patterns that I should know about to expand my tiny zine repertoire??? ;)

     
  • At August 25, 2009 7:13 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yes, we had a great time. Thanks for liking my report. :)

    We learned three different methods for a one-paper zine. Hmm, I could send you my examples!

     
  • At September 01, 2009 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the report! I've yet to make it to any zine fest on the west coast, so it's nice to hear about the scene from a trusted friend and reporter. I wish that Icarus tabled at East Coast fests.

     
  • At September 02, 2009 7:35 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    The west coast welcomes you! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home