dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, May 01, 2010

two surprises, Davis, gluestick glue

This morning we received a shock--if all goes well, Erik's best friend is going to be a dad. This was very unexpected. So he and the mom-to-be are moving to Napa this summer. "No more hiking," Erik said.

Then we got another surprise--Erik's project scored out. So we were suddenly free. We decided to go to Davis. We got some things ready, and I went downstairs before Erik. A neighbor was down there, someone I'd never really spoken to, but she started talking to me. "How are you and your husband doing?" she asked. I said we were fine and asked how she was--she told me she's seven months pregnant. I hadn't noticed. She said this time was way different from last time, and we talked about how. Last time was 19 years ago. "I've never been pregnant," I said, and she said something like, "You don't want to be."

Then we went to the Davis farmers' market. I bought fresh fava beans and broccoli. Then we went to our favorite Nepalese place. There was a Sunday buffet, and I asked the worker, "Is there anything vegetarian?" He told me the vegetarian things. The korma was very bland. The spinach was heavenly.

Then we went to the co-op. They didn't have quite what I was looking for, but I got a Walt Whitman card and some lemon soy yogurt and a huge onion for making some dal.

Then we came home and hung out for a while and then went to our favorite park so Erik could run and I could walk. I finished a letter to J in Australia and started one to R in Berkeley. I've been working on notes to go with the new ELM which will be copied either tomorrow in Berkeley or Wednesday in town.

Yesterday I made a single copy of ELM 47 at Staples to make sure I did the layout right--it felt kind of complicated--and I did it right. But my gluestick glue for some reason sucks, or I asked too much of it, because some of my things fell off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home