dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, March 12, 2011

the journey

Monday I left on amtrak for my parents' house. The journey was about eight hours. Two of those hours I talked on the phone with my best friend A. I enjoyed her company. I got to my parents' house Monday night. I was sleeping in my old bedroom which has blue walls and blue carpet.

Over the course of the week I saw three good friends, a loved aunt, my brother, and my parents. We had a really good time. Some highlights were seeing S's new RV, the cheerful flowers my mom bought my aunt for her birthday, and when Erik got back from backpacking.

The whole reason I went to stay with my parents was Erik's backpacking. He went to the Big Sur area and had a fantastic time but lost his camera because of a heinous river crossing. And I counted the bruises on his arms--he has 12.

He was supposed to show up late Thursday night, and I was talking on the phone with A again in my old bedroom, staring out the window, wishing Erik would show up. It was only about 6. I saw a car that looked like our car on the road. Then I realized it was our car and that Erik was home early. "I'm going to go say hi to him!" I told A and got off the phone with her.

Yesterday morning there was a tsumani warning for the coast of California. The waves were expected to be very small, but there was still some fear and suspense. Erik and I were planning to head back to Sacramento early, but we were delayed by the tsunami predictions. We watched the news. We saw that at a beach I went to very often when I was a kid, the water receded almost to the buoys. That was pretty freaky to see.

But in the end, there was nothing. I wasn't afraid of a big wave, but I was afraid of people acting crazy as a result of fear. But when we got on the freeway, traffic seemed normal. The drove home was uneventful. We took the inland route, which is dull compared to the coastal route, but the hills are green right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home