dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, February 13, 2012

potato leek soup

Tonight I made some vegan potato leek soup for dinner. It's delicious! It feels really wholesome too. I had to make myself stop eating it so there would be some left for Erik, who's doing yoga.

It's really easy. It only needed to simmer for 20 minutes. It's very quick, for a soup.

The older I get, the more I find myself loving potatoes. And I never much thought about leeks, but they keep showing up in our CSA.

Here's how I made it, but I think it's forgiving.

***

about five medium potatoes, diced
about two and a half leeks, white and pale green parts only, chopped up
earth balance
two vegan bullion cubes
salt
pepper
plain unsweetened unflavored soymilk

I sauted the leeks in a tablespoon of earth balance for maybe five minutes. Then I added potatoes, enough water to cover, a teaspoon of salt, and two vegan bullion cubes. Simmer for 10 minutes--stir. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Mash the soup with a potato masher. Put some in a bowl and add some soymilk. Stir. Eat!

***

Oh, and I'd like to thank my ex-mother-in-law for the potato masher. So much of my kitchen stuff came from her--the green tupperware measuring spoons, for example. Thank you!

2 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2012 1:05 PM, Blogger Hethre said…

    I want to make this!! Sounds yummy! I even thought about making leek soup when I saw leeks @ the farmers market yesterday, but decided against them because Ryan doesn't like soup... Guess I could just make some and have friends over!! :)

     
  • At March 11, 2012 2:05 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Ever since I read this comment on February 20th, I've been marveling that Ryan doesn't like soup!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home