dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, May 22, 2006

a very good stanza from a very good poem

from A Few Words by R. Zamora Linmark

One popular interjection used by everyone,
from politicians to stand-up comics
to social-climbers to my aunt is “in fairness,”
as in: “This country might be the second
most corrupt in the world, but, in fairness,
we are number one in text messaging.”
It’s true. But, as my Filipino fatalist economist
friend once told me, “What this country needs
is a new country. But, in fairness, there
is no fairness.” When I came out to my
aunt, so as to finally put a stop to her round-
the-clock questions regarding my single
status, she matter-of-factly said, “Hijo,
your closet might be open, but, in fairness,
your skin is still fair.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home