dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, May 29, 2006

what's going on with zines

Today we went to Staples where I copied 120 of issue 36. A few weeks ago I submitted issue 36 to a big, respected distro called Microcosm in Portland, and yesterday they told me they would like up to 200. I decided about 90 would be good, and we can drop them off next weekend when we're in Portland.

Also, another distro would like some of issue 36, Sweet Candy, and I'll send them 10, as well as some back issues for their library.

It feels flattering that these distros want my zine. Issue 36 is quality, if you ask me. So I feel validated and edified. This is very good news.

It was hard to spend the money to make another run of issue 36 just for Microcosm, but I think it's wonderful to get more copies out into the world, and hopefully some more subscriptions will come of it. I love Oregon, and I love that the zine will be read a little bit in the north. Also, Portland's on our list of where we might move next, and it's good to be in touch with Microcosm.

Issue 37 I've found two typos in, not really crucial or sensitive ones. It could be much worse.

Issue 38 is already half done. I'm writing like crazy. I think it might be my hormonal changes, but I'm not sure. I told Erik this morning how I was on hormones from the time I was 15 to the time I was 29. I have no idea what my "normal" looks like. Progestin had a big impact on how seratonin is used in the brain.

So things are going very well with zines, and I'm grateful to Erik for working hard at the grading factory so I can have so much time to do my projects. He is a very kind, giving, good husband.

Staples is depressing. I started going there when my brother gave me a gift card, which I'm deeply grateful for. They have a rewards program that's kept me hooked. But I made an issue at Krishna Copy in Berkeley (around issue 29?), which was fun and real. I'll try to find somewhere local that has a good price, owned by humans, to make the next issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home