dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, June 12, 2006

Microcosm

During our trip to Portland, a highlight I forgot to mention was our trip to Microcosm, where I needed to go to drop of 90 copies of issue 36. They're open 11 - 6 every day in the basement of a community building called Liberty Hall that has a big stage. We were nervous to enter such an unusual space. A gentleman on a bike arrived just as we did.

We stared at the flyers up in the foyer before heading downstairs. A sign said no alcohol.

Microcosm's a ton of stuff in a small space. "Oh, you have zines," the tall blond guy behind the counter said.

"Who are you?" I asked cautiously, somehow thinking it was Joe.

"I'm Joe," he said. "Who are you?"

"I'm Laura-Marie," I said. Did we shake hands? I really don't think so. "This is 90 copies, and this is...."

"Oh, and you brought the new one," he said, looking at the lone copy of issue 37, which was wrapped in a note starting "Dear Joe."

He said thanks. He said we could look around but to ask if we needed any help because the arrangment of stuff was not very conducive to browsing. But we found interesting stuff without problem: Dorises, the Doris book, a book by Carrie McNitch, and one of the zines I'd gone there hoping to peek into Applicant. Joe again told us to let him know if we had any questions.

Erik liked a tee-shirt design on the wall FIX SHIT UP though I'm not sure how familiar he is with the FUCK SHIT UP line so familiar.

"Are you all set?" Joe asked, when he saw us cautiously in the purchasing posture. I paid with the debit card (buying the Doris book and the new Doris, issue 23?). He offered us a catalogue--I refused, saying I just look online.

Then Erik had to go to the bathroom. I didn't, so I stood and stared at a wall with some flyers and art stuck to it, looked into a trashcan, got a feel for the place. A sign said that if you're staying at Liberty Hall, to keep your stuff in a certain corner. Another sign I noticed as we walked up the stairs said something about bugs and vermin getting in and gave some instructions about closing windows?

When we left the building, a woman was on the stage playing guitar, and it sounded very good, soulful and rich like Cat Power, but I was overwhelmed and just had to get out of there.

1 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2006 8:02 PM, Blogger redbird said…

    That's an interesting account. I'm glad I learned how the whole zine-dropping-off adventure worked out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home