dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

something new

This morning I did something new. I drove myself to pick up some freecycle stationary, to a place on the other side of the tracks where I had NEVER BEEN BEFORE!

It's was by Manlove, which google maps thinks is Madlove. It was at an elementary school. I was looked at oddly by teachers leading lines of well-behaved little children. Am I really that funny-looking? I guess so! Fat, in tye-die and cut-off shorts and clogs.

I did great except when I almost ran a stop sign and had to slam on the brakes, causing the recycle to shift loudly and an empty mayonaisse jar to fly forward and land at the feet of my non-existant passenger.

When I arrived home, I had the reward of going through someone else's stationary collection. A lot of it is not so great, but I obtained a few very nice things: the art cards, and some terrible 80s die-cut? laser-cut? white stationary with which to afflict my friends and loved-ones. Lots of Christmas cards, some of them in braile!!! Way too many "get well" cards--I don't think I've ever used a get well card in my life... Too many thank you notes also. If I really feel thankful, I'll write a letter.

But lots of birthday cards--that's useful. The envelopes were almost all seperate from the cards, and nothing was organized, so I sorted them into piles and tried to find an envelope for everything.

Tonight I'm going to Indian food with a friend from the grading factory who I am so happy to see. So another new thing I'm doing is driving myself somewhere twice in one day. I guess I'm a driver now....

2 Comments:

  • At July 05, 2006 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations! Being a non-driver (who tenses up at the mere thought of driving lessons), I'm really happy for you! :)

     
  • At July 05, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Thanks, R! You're sweet. Still no freeway driving, but I feel anything's possible.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home