dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, July 02, 2006

chickens are us

We went to vespers this evening for the first time in more than a month, because of trips and illness and forgetting, and it was wonderful. Swami was sitting on the veranda, small and beautiful in his orange robes, and we shared a wave, beforehand. In hinduism, there's a belief that just to be looked at by a holy person gives blessings. I can't remember the term. But swami's our local holy person, so I got my blessing for the day.

And we saw the chickens before and after. I will try to remember to bring the camera and take a picture next time. The chickens are very good looking. We call them fowlen. As in, "There's the fowlen!"

We made a big breakfast for dinner. I had been craving pretend sausage, so we got some. We had potatoes, so I made hash browns too. We ate on the living room floor, with juice, and felt very comforted and well.

I got "this year" by the Mountain Goats stuck in my head, particularly this part.

I played video games
in a drunken haze--
I was 17 years young.


I had a thing when I was a teacher that I hated when my students ended their paper with a quote. I was big on contextualizing quotes as opposed to dropping them in, like smart parachuters from another country come to save the paper. And these feelings on my part are so deep that I could not even end a blog posting with a quote. Thus this paragraph.

So good night, my dears.

3 Comments:

  • At July 03, 2006 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The first Mountain Goats song I ever heard. Actually I think saw the video first. I was instantly hooked. I've kept coming back to the song for strength.

     
  • At July 03, 2006 5:09 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yes, I find it comforting. Do you have a reading of the Jerulsalem part?

     
  • At July 04, 2006 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What comes to mind for me is the idea of the year of "Jubilee" from the Old Testament. I think in Levitical law or something it was ordained that every seven years all debts would be forgiven, among other things. Which seems to me would just make people put off paying their debts...but that's beside the point.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home