dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

changes and what we did

Yesterday in Berkeley was lovely. We had lunch, and Erik both ordered and paid so I could avoid the worker who over-flirts. We had mali kofta there for the first time--it was a special. The sauce was lovely, but the dumplings were too hot for me, so me and Erik kinda traded--he enjoyed them very much.

We got bread and apple turnovers from Acme. We went to Cody's where I read a book called

High Pink by Franco Mondini-Ruiz (that's the cover) halfway through that was just what I needed to read--a gay Mexican-American growing up in Texas, wonderful non-fiction vignettes, sort of like a zine but with color photos of kitch. I wanted to buy it but couldn't justify the expense of twenty dollars before seeing if it was at the library. But the content nourished my soul. How it feels to be mostly white but not entirely white.

Erik got me a pillow he has been wanting to get me for months, a buckwheat hull pillow at one of the Japanese stores he likes. He got himself some matcha.

I bought beautiful postcards--just lovely--but I can't scan them right now because Erik has my computer. It's officially scoring season again, and he's training at the moment, on my computer because it's far superior.

Then dinner was the main reason we went over to Berkeley, for dinner with my loved R. My eggplant was just perfect. Erik sat at the zendo and joined us later.

SAT scoring starts Thursday. I'm taking a deep breath, and if you notice me underwater too long, send help. Monday Erik's off to the grading factory for a project that's supposed to last into December. So life is about to change in a big way, and it's stressful, but I won't say entirely unwelcome. My unemployment ran out just recently, so off we go.

Erik also got an Eddie Izzard DVD last night at the Ameoba on Telegraph. He'd been watching a lot of Eddie Izzard on youtube and wanted to get something legit.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home