dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, December 03, 2006

home from a weekend away

Our weekend was so rich and full, I don't know how I could begin to tell you about it. We ate delicious foods.

* Sri Lanakan in Santa Cruz--eggplant, thin dal, pan dipped in garlic olive oil, spicy lentil crackers, mango lassi that they say is a drink, but it really is a food;

* creamy clam chowder, crisp coconut shrimp, and tender salmon in Pismo Beach;

* delicious Mexican food at Celito Lindo in Orcutt--the chile relleno omelette I always get, with enchilada sauce on the side, all beans and no potatoes, corn tortillas;

* comfort food at my parents' house--my mom made a rice dish I've been enjoying since I was little, and Erik loved it too.

We had good company of children and adults. We helped my mom sort stuff. Three birthdays were celebrated--four if you count M opening her present from us, since we won't be there when she turns one. I hugged a loved aunt I see rarely.

Long drives, we listened to Bjork very loud and talked about everything in the world.

I sat with my mom, and we had important conversations deep into the magical night. She said moquitoes would bother us, but she was incorrect as we held hands on her porch swing.

We went shopping. She bought me almonds, cheese, soy milk, bell peppers, tangerines, tomatoes.

In all that I got some needed sleep, did some good writing, and lovely pictures were taken which I might post when Erik gets them off the camera and into the computer.

So tomorrow I will rest and process, read the letters that arrived while I was away, and cook with all the fresh ingredients.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home