dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, July 02, 2007

walks, neighbor revelation, farther / further

The morning walk has become a normal occurrence. Every day I go a little farther. But today I must have been walking extra-quick because despite the extra distance, my walk took less time. Tricky!

I had a revelation yesterday. It has to do with loving my neighbors as myself. I realized that hating my neighbors hurts no one but myself. They're loud--they're obnoxious--they have too many kids and let them run wild--they block the stairs--they leave trash everywhere--they destroy stuff. But hating them doesn't punish them: it only punishes me. The Dalai Lama says "Be compassionate not just to your friends but to everyone." I don't know how to go about not hating my neighbors, but I can pray.

Also in the news is the difference between farther and further. Farther is distance as in "more far." Further is more time or more amount as in "This requires further study," or "I thought the pregnant woman was further along than she is." Right? I guess I missed that day of fourth grade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home